Letter sent to group working on the K&I/Big4 bridges. The group is comprised of County & Louisville legal staff, mayors’ offices (both sides of river), L Waterfront Development Corp, engineers, planners, citizens, etc.
The letter :
The proposed unconstitutional closing of the Clark Memorial to pedestrians presents an opportunity to open a second pedestrian/cycling bridge – the Big4. Multiple crossings of the Clark Memorial are planned next week, challenging it’s closing. Preparations for legal action are also underway. We are going to make Louisville a walkable city.
The legal action is avoidable if:
- some concrete is poured in the next couple of days into a 50’x50′ section of road at the end of the IN Big 4
- the Big 4 is then opened to the public
- and a 24/7 shuttle is provided for pedestrians by KYTC/Walsh on both ends of the Clark M (it is unreasonable to ask pedestrians to add an hour to their crossing
- pedestrians & cyclists be allowed to use the Clark M
or, if we want to get fanciful,
- pedestrians & cyclists be allowed to use a protected, dedicated lane on I65
Of course the Big 4 lighting issues might be raised as an objection, but given the poor lighting on the Clark M, that argument is specious.
Oh, pedestrians are going to demand access at Thunder, every year.
You need to know that this communication is bcc:ed
to several others.
We look forward to solving a problem with you.